Summer road trips are pretty much my favorite. Last year I started the series “Sweet Midwest” with trips to Columbia, MO and Chicago, IL , and I have a few more to share from trips we took this summer! We started out with a trip to the absolutely beautiful Milwaukee!
I am a water lover. Seriously, when I was little my mom called me a water baby. And I still claim that title. So when we were able to see Lake Michigan twice and splash around in it once – my heart was happy! And we found out that I’m not the only water baby!
Obviously, that little man is not my own, but instead my nephew. We were so excited to go on this trip with J’s sister, brother-in-law and nephew.
Some of our favorite stops on the trip was:
- Put-Put at Prairieville Park – One of the best maintained put put places I have ever played at, besides who doesn’t adore sharing the love of put put with a two year old!
- Milwaukee Brewers – Miller Park Tour – The park has some really neat history. This is my second ball park tour (remember last years cubs stadium) and I think it might be something that J (my baseball loving husband) and I try to incorporate into our trips! Yay traditions!
- McKinley Beach – This was most likely my favorite moment of the trip. The waves. The sand. The crisp breeze. Yup, this is my sanctuary.
- Miller Coors Brewery Tour – The tour guides were great and the company has taken on a great cause of green living. However, when you are from STL, nothing compares to your hometown.
A few other highly recommended by others would include:
- Milwaukee Art Museum – Some of their special exhibitions look Ah-maz-ing!
- Discovery World – There was a special to ride a sail boat while we were visiting and every fiber of me wanted to do that, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
- Pabst Mansion – As a lover of history, I thought this place looked like it could entertain me for days.
Most of our vacations are also planned around some good food. And this trip was not different, however this time they also had to be kid friendly.
Our food choices:
- Colectivo Coffee : Ok, friends, if you are anywhere near Milwaukee you much check this place out. We loved it so much we went twice! There are about 15 locations and each one has a unique vibe!
- Machine Shed Restaurant – It’s like a much tastier version of Cracker Barrel. So you get that down home feel but double the food and taste!
- The Chancery – This witty little place has the best of both worlds, a nice spacious dining area for families and hopping bar!
Other neat suggestions for food (that we cannot personally vouch for):
- Miss Katies Diner – Who doesn’t love an adorable diner? Well not even Michelle Obama can resist this place!
- Safe House – If you are looking for a unique eating experience, look no further. And that is all I can tell you.
- Pizza Man – Craving pizza and a brew? Then you found your place.
Milwaukee is the perfect place if you are trying to escape the summer heat. Everything slows down and is a bit sweeter. And I will leave you with a photo of my sweetie near the big beautiful Lake Michigan.
Yah, that smile makes me swoon.
Please note that on trip we use both our DSLR’s and our wonderful Iphones.