There are lots of posts going around in which people are choosing their word for the year. This big picture philosophical concept is incredibly difficult for me to understand. See I’m a small detail practical person. I like making steps and sub steps to meet a goal. I prefer breaking things down and am immediately turned off when I hear people discussing lofty ideas and concepts. But I know I need to grow and expand my preferences. So I jumped on the train.
My 2018 word is : Flourish
Originally, I was between the words flourish and bloom. So I looked both of the words up, and when I read flourish and specifically the part of “especially as the result of a particularly favorable environment” I knew that had to be the perfect word. I have made huge changes over the past year (see some of them in this post) with the concept of creating a favorable environment. I am so excited to embrace the word to “grow or develop in a healthy or vigorous way”. (BTW, the photo above I blew up and put on my living room wall- got to have those visual reminders!)
As I said above, I am a wildly practical person so here is a brief list on how I want to embrace the concept of flourishing:
- Building deeper friendships – this is so essential as I am an introvert to the core.
- Finishing my Masters – that’s right, friends, I will officially have my MBA in May!!!
- Church Community – that introvert in me always pushes against me in making new friends but this past year has taught me that your community is what keeps you going.
- Experiencing Life – this means creating a list of places I want to go and actually going, even if I have to do it alone.
- Family time – I am a time person and I have loved growing closer to my family this past year and plan on doing more of it this year (hear that mom and dad- be expecting me over more weekends this summer!)
- Organization – I am lousy at organizing things- I am an expert in organizing people and events- but things baffle me. So I am learning and plan on growing in this area.
- Health – I’ve really taken my health for granted and over this past year have had a few health scares. This makes me realize that God has given me one body and I need to take better care of it.
In Business –
- Blogging – Sharing stories visually is what I do, and I must get better and blogging regularly (at least two times a week).
- Knowing the client – Honeybook (Client Management System) has been stellar for me this past year at organizing client documents, payment and communication. However, it also has the ability to send surveys so that I understand exactly what each client is looking for in their session. I plan on creating more so that I know more about the person/family before I go into the session.
- Collaboration – There are so many cool businesses out there that I want to work with. If you are one of them, send me an email and lets create something spectacular!
- Specialization – I’ve loved photographing a variety of types of sessions and events, but I am passionate about families and high school seniors. I still love newborns, couples, and weddings but feel much more in sweet spot with families and seniors.
2018 will be wildly exciting as I already have great plans in the works including seeing Hamilton (insert all of the heart eyes) and going to the RESET conference. Now I want to hear about your word! What word do you want to represent your year- tell me all about it in the comments below!